Satiny Urushi | Bordeaux-Red Pierced Earrings
2 to 3 days
2 to 7 days
Color-rich Bordeaux-Red Earrings
Urushi's hallmark qualities - shine, glow, luster, sheen - are perfectly matched for accentuating a color such as bordeaux-red. The uniqueness of the Urushi sap brings a stunning richness and depth to these earrings much as the Bordeaux grapes do to a fine wine.
Designer, Rie Sakamoto (pictured here), of Urushi Sakamoto studio, presents Urushi Bordeaux-Red Pierced Earrings. Fashioned out of Parkwood, these satiny earrings are thus exceedingly lightweight and easy to wear. These earrings makes for an amazing, authentic, quality gift or souvenir from Japan.
But What IS Urushi Lacquer?
Authentic Urushi lacquer is a versatile, natural sap from the Urushi tree - a tree native to Asia. This amazing, lustrous sap has been part of Japanese history and culture for over 7000 years dating back to the prehistoric Jomon period! You can read more about that HERE. Practical applications aside, Urushi's longevity are most certainly also due to its enduring aesthetic appeal - an alluring, high luster that also expresses a soft, gentle, luxurious glow. These hallmark qualities have long inspired creativity across generations, and puts Urushi on par with other jewelry material such as gold, silver and gem stones.
How Bordeaux-red Urushi Gets its Sheen
The beautiful sheen stems not only from material but from a detailed and careful process as well. Simply put, craft artists meticulously apply, and thoroughly dry, fifteen layers of refined Urushi sap starting with layers of jet-black Urushi and then layers of bordeaux-red pigmented Urushi. Using hand and specialized tools, silver-foil overlay is applied for unique design and to further draw out Urushi's natural depth of color and shine. Finally, the earrings are sealed twice with urethane resin. Your can read more about the detailed process HERE. For a special set, match with the Urushi Bordeaux-Red Bangle.
Product Details | Care
- Approximate length|width: 2.8cm x 1cm
- Color: Bordeaux-Red
- Material: Parkwood | Pearl-drop Shape
- Surface: Authentic, Natural, Urushi Lacquer | Sealed with Urethane Resin
- Weight: (1 earring): 0.8g
- Hardware: titanium, rhodium-plated, or gold-colored brass
- Care: Wipe with a soft, dry cloth
- Jewelry | Gift Box: The designer earrings come in a jewelry case and gift box.
- Please Note: Due to the nature of the high-end-craft-making processes, individual products may vary slightly in color (from our website photos and one from another) and other product qualities.