Satiny Urushi | Starry Night Blue Bangle
2 to 3 days
2 to 7 days
Starry Night Blue
Japanese Urushi jewelry designer, Rie Sakamoto, also looked up and, inspired by her own starry night view, sought to capture that awe in this exquisite Starry Night Blue Urushi Bangle. As one of Japan’s world-renowned traditional fine crafts, Urushi (Japanese Lacquer) proves to be the perfect material to express this amazing scene. Carved from a single block of Oak Wood, this bangle is layers and layers of refined Urushi sap and artistic practice and care. White-gold 12k foil grace the bangle's inside curves. Each bangle has Rie, the designer's signature, and makes for an amazing quality gift or authentic souvenir from Japan. For a special set, combine with Starry Night Blue Urushi Pierced Earrings.
What is Urushi?
The satiny glow of Japanese Urushi Lacquer is remarkably reminiscent of Japan’s famous luxury pearls. But Urushi's smooth, lustrous finish, comes from the natural sap of the Urushi tree - a tree native to Asia. This traditional craft has long roots, dating back 9000 years to the prehistoric Jomon Period of Japan! The practical qualities of Japanese Urushi lacquer (it is durable and waterproof) long made it an attractive coating on objects for every day use. But artists will tell a different story. Like the Starry Night Bangle shows, it is Urushi's pearly quality, its high sheen, and warming glow that secures its place as an aesthetically pleasing, and uniquely enduring material for contemporary jewelry and other modern Japanese lacquerware.
How Starry Night Blue gets is Sheen and...Stars
To achieve Urushi's signature satiny glow on the Starry Night Bangle, craft artists at the studio, meticulously apply at least fifteen layers of processed Urushi lacquer to the carved, wooden shape. This is a time-consuming process as each layer must be thoroughly dried before another can be applied. The drying process can be a delicate one and requires a controlled environment for temperature, humidity, and even any tiny specks of dust which can all effect the outcome of the quality piece. The layering of Urushi starts with an undercoat of jet black Urushi followed by layers of clear sap with an added blue pigment. For the Starry Night Blue Bangle, design features include a special, very fine, fiber powder which is sprinkled on each bangle by hand as it is drying give it the stars of the universe! Each bangle has Rie, the designer's signature.
Product Details | Care
- Important Note: Inner circumference runs about 21cm. Please measure your wrist to determine if this size is appropriate for you.
- Designer Signature: Signed Rie
- Material: Carved from a single block of Oak Wood
- Surface: Authentic, Natural, Urushi Lacquer | Sealed with Urethane Resin
- Width: about 3.3cm
- Weight: about 23g
- Inside Surface: White-gold Foil (12K)
- Color: Dark Blue, Starry Sparkles | In certain light may have a blue-green hue*
- Care: Clean and buff with a soft cloth. Do not store in direct sunlight.
- Gift Box and Jewelry Case: Includes a gray, velvet-type jewelry case in a white gift box (as seen in photos)
* Due to the nature of the high-end-craft-making processes, individual products may vary slightly in color (from our website photos and one from another) and other product qualities.
Indigo - A Match for the Stars
If you're looking for a match with these Starry Night Blue earrings try Japan's Indigo Blue! Like Urushi, textile dyeing has a long, traditional history in Japan dating back at least 2000 years. This natural Indigo Blue Silk Scarf/Stole by Maito Design Works studio is 100% all natural plant dye on 100% "whisper" silk. You can view this, other natural-dye stoles and read more about it HERE.